2020-2021 Executive Board
Annual Picnic 2019
The mission of the UIUC chapter of the Geo-Institute graduate student organization is to: (1) provide geotechnical graduate students with a forum to pursue and discuss their research interests in an educational and constructive environment; (2) allow them to develop the leadership and interpersonal skills they will need as future geotechnical engineers; and (3) expose and promote the field of geotechnical engineering to CEE students at Illinois.
The organization will promote constructive social interaction among the students through a student-organized open-discussion forum, distinguished lectures, general meetings, and community outreach activities. These activities will provide opportunities for students to enhance their education and improve their geotechnical knowledge and skills, while outreach activities will be used to educate area K-12 students about geotechnical engineering. Finally, the organization will emphasize the importance of being an active member in the geotechnical community via substantial research-related contributions to conferences and workshops through paper submissions and presentations.
A comprehensive list of the Geotechnical Engineering Student Organization’s objectives is provided below:
- Organizing Geo-Institute and UIUC Peck lectures.
- Organizing community outreach programs.
- Interacting with the UIUC Student Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Collaborating with the UIUC Student Chapter of Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI).
- Contributing in Geo-Institute conferences and ASCE annual conventions.
- Contributing in paper competitions and professional educations related to geotechnical engineering.
- Holding bimonthly geotechnical discussion forums.
- Inviting geotechnical engineering companies to career expos in order to facilitate employment searches for soon-to-be geotechnical engineering graduates.
- Arranging field trips to civil engineering construction projects and sites – particularly those related to geotechnical engineering issues.